Sunday, May 2, 2010

Oops.

Yesterday was our alumni rugby game and it was so incredibly awesome. I really was blessed with the people that I got to begin playing rugby with. They're all so incredibly good at rugby not just because they're athletic and they know the game, but they're just such incredible people who work well with one another and look out for one another. They really are true team players, and they can get anything done together. I'm so happy that I know them and it's so much fun to play with them and play against them because they're so good! 
I really am kicking myself right now though because I hurt my wrist really bad yesterday. I feel like such a baby and that I shouldn't be complaining about it that much. One of the alumni is a super powerhouse that we played against yesterday, and people on our team were literally at one point just letting her go through without even trying to tackle her because she is that much of a bulldozer on the field! At one point there was basically a one on one match up with me and her, so I absolutely had to tackle her or she would have been pretty much home free for scoring a tri. I knew I was outmatched, I knew she was bigger and stronger than I was, but there was no way that I was going to just let her go through. So I tried going at her and tackling her....but as pretty much everyone else put it afterwards, "I got owned." Yeah, I made a super shitty tackle, she knocked me off my feet in a heartbeat (rhyme) because she had so much momentum built up already, and I landed right on my wrist. I remember specifically hearing it crack, my wrist bent back pretty far. And people made fun of me for it for a while after it happened which was even more embarrassing. I really am ashamed that I injured myself on a stupid play. But at the same time, even though I'm upset and disappointed in myself, I'm happy with the mentality I had when I at least tried to tackle her. I didn't back off like a lot of other people on our team did; when she was running at me I really did think I was going to tackle her. I ran right at her without really thinking I should back off or anything. But I guess deep down I was partially scared, and I know that I just need to work harder and I still have a long way to go. I want to get to the point where it won't matter if there's such a difference in size; I want to be able to take absolutely anyone down. 
And something else that I am also proud of is that I would break my wrist in 50 million other places before I hesitate to tackle someone. I am going to throw out every limb in my body to try and tackle someone, whether they're 100 pounds or 300 pounds. I'll get "owned" and thrown to the ground an infinite amount of times before I back down from a tackle. I hope I can keep that mentality and practice what I preach. 
But what really pisses me off is that my mind keeps trying to make me feel better about this injury by saying "Oh well, at least it happened at the end of rugby season." But rugby season should never be over. I wish that I could play in all seasons because you really can play rugby year round!! I hate thinking that I'm going to be waiting until the fall now before I get anymore rugby experience. And as I've learned, working out can only do so much. I feel like without actually playing rugby I sort of stay at a standstill with my progress. 
ALSO, I need to give myself a pat on the back with how much my kicking has improved!!! At the beginning of last fall, I could not come even close to making a field goal if you put me 10 meters in front of the uprights. But we tied the alumni game because I made three of them, one of them being the final kick to get the tie!! That was a really nice demonstration of my progress in that area, I'm so happy that I'm going somewhere with that! But I definitely still need to practice kicking more over the summer, I'm happy that I snuck off with the kicking tee after the game mwahaha. 

I think that's the mentality and the saying that I am going to keep in my head so I'll always be able to push myself and never slack off or give up:

Rugby season is never over.

No comments:

Post a Comment