Thursday, February 5, 2015

YES!



My GOODNESS this is exciting stuff. I'm loving the wave of appreciation for female athletes going around - it's contagious! And it's wonderful to see girls at such a young age being encouraged to enter the sports realm full throttle...because us girls WANT TO! When I was younger, I always had to have my older brother and cousin fight for me to be able to play sports with the other boys simply because I was a girl. If I was a brother instead of a sister, there would've been no question and the other boys would've accepted the extra batter/guard/wide receiver in their game. But allowing a girl to play with them back then was like accepting a "handicap" or a "disadvantage."
I'm so lucky that I had my brother and cousin around to fight for me, because playing sports at such a young age has been crucial to my success now. NOW, there's no questioning me joining a pick up game. And THERE NEVER SHOULD BE FOR ANY OTHER GIRL.


I caught wind of this documentary a while ago, but now it seems to be making a lot of headway and progress! Can't wait to see the final product:

Women's rugby is just incredible in so many ways. It's the same dimensions, same distance to score a try, same ball, pretty much same EVERYTHING as men's rugby. And (in my experience) male rugby players have never really treated me or any other women I've played with lightly - they don't really view the sport we play as anything "lower" or "lighter" than what they do. We both leave our hearts on the field. We both sacrifice an immeasurable amount of blood, sweat, and tears to succeed. A hard tackle feels just as good in women's rugby as it does men's....and hurts just as bad when someone steamrolls you. I think that a lot of this comes from rugby's overall culture of respect. True rugby players are respectful, humble, and supportive players of everyone and everything. No position, no gender, no ethnicity, no sexual orientation, no hair color, no height, no size, no one teammate is more important than the others. EVERYONE IS IMPORTANT, ON AND OFF THE FIELD.

No comments:

Post a Comment