Thursday, February 5, 2015

It doesn't get easier, you just get better.

BLAGH, here comes VEGAS 7s YET AGAIN!

It's crazy to think that over a year has passed already since I last stepped on the field for this; I'm excited to experience the transformation for myself that I've gone through since then.

While there's still SO much more to go, I definitely need to reflect on how far I've come already. I'd say that last year's Vegas 7's was literally the FIRST time I've played sevens competitively and not in piles of snow. Needless to say, the drastic differences between 7s and 15s completely KNOCKED ME ON MY ASS.















But as much as I surprised myself at how much I fell back to square one, the realm of sevens was opened to me and I stepped into a whole new worldddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd! An amazing, exciting, scary-as-fuck world.

Sevens for me has basically turned into a place where the universe constantly asks me
"How good do you REALLY think you are at rugby?...at passing?....at tackling?....at thinking on your feet? LET'S FIND OUT."

Sevens is the TRUE test of all your rugby skills, in my personal opinion. Obviously there are some skills that aren't measured as much in sevens as they are in 15s, but the importance of tactic and having a sound knowledge of the game is just so freakin important when playing sevens. EVERYTHING you learn in sevens is useful knowledge for 15s.

So if you're a forward who's avoided sevens like the plague or someone who's just never had too many opportunities to do it - PLAY FREAKIN' SEVENS. Read about it, watch it, hop into it whenever you can. Sure, it's going to knock you on your ass once or twice or 50 times, but that brings you a step closer to knocking someone else on their ass in the long run.


No comments:

Post a Comment