Friday, September 5, 2014

Playtime pouting.

I've listened in on some discussions recently revolving around the never ending battle of who should play in a rugby game - more specifically, who should play based on skill level vs. who should play that earned it. Players and coaches have handled this topic in such a variety of ways and every team is so drastically different from one another that there really is no set answer.
Many of us have seen that naturally talented player come to practices hungover or not at all and then start over players that work their tails off but just can't seem to get the hang of it all yet. It happens all the time, and in writing it's almost a no brainer that this sounds wrong...however when you're put in that situation on the field where you need a reliable, solid figure in a specific position then many times people will go with what they know will perform. It's comforting, makes them feel more confident.
HOWEVER, does that make it right? No, not really. Does that mean the underdog hard worker should always start? No, not necessarily.
But I will say this: I 100% full heartedly believe that rugby is karmic - you get what you give. Although the results aren't immediate, and in many cases it may take a long-ass-time to see any of the results, it's there. That hungover no-show talented player? EVENTUALLY, they will fall. That sounds so negative, but being so careless about your teammates and your performance can only go on for so long without hurting you...or in the end potentially destroying your rugby career.
On the other hand, that underdog hardworking-but-mediocre player? Is going to go SO-FREAKIN-FAR. It's not only because they can handle rejection, pressure, and anything else thrown at them since they've already seen it...but all the time in even sometimes the most subtle ways, they are improving. CONSTANTLY. While one day it may be they only dropped 6 passes instead of 7 or they even figured out where to stand in a defensive line, eventually it's going to pay off. May need to be an extremely long term investment, like maybe even years....but IT'S GOING TO PAY OFF. I JUST KNOW IT.
The lazy player may not ever experience the drastic reality of ruining their rugby career, but they will eventually be surpassed. Their talent does not solidify their playing time, at least not forever and ever, because there will come a day where that underdog will be able to carry their own weight and will be considered over that talented player. Even if they aren't the showstopper the talented player is, they will still play.....someday. And it will be GLORIOUS and things will only continue to get better for that mediocre hard worker.
But not only will that mediocre hard worker personally succeed, they will take the team to places they couldn't have dreamed of. They will inspire everyone else to work hard, and follow a good example. They will be a listening and empathetic ear when other mediocre players experience the pains of not starting or not playing at all. They will help everyone through these times, get them back on the saddle, and guide them through the same grueling process they once had to go through. THEY are the true victors and who lift the team up because of the immense amount of resilience they have built.

(I know that many of my peeps are going to get a kick out of me doing a Khaleesi rant right now, but this shit's real!) Take this unbelievable underdog character who couldn't have gone any more from zero-to-hero. While there's literally zero athleticism involved in this underdog story, the process is still the same. For a very long period of time no one considered her a threat or of any type of potential. She was repeatedly told she was worthless and incapable of accomplishing anything, while so many other people around her took for granted what they had. Through self confidence, hard work, and relationship building, she was able to overcome these motherfuckers (excuse my language, I'm getting a bit amped now) one by one and start a revolution. She utilized her own strengths and self confidence while also relying and trusting her companions (teammates, if you will...) to go so far. She empathized with slaves because she was in a way once a slave herself, and she was able to encourage others to liberate themselves.
AGH IT'S BEAUTIFUL.
This is also apparent in the movie Gladiator, which I ritually watch before every single game, but that needs another entire post of its own. 

The reason why I am feeling so passionate about this is because I have experienced it myself. Just for kicks, I looked back on the ye olde entries of this blog and found this one from about 5 years ago....when I was a sophomore in college:
October 5th, 2009: No one knows how hard coaching really is until they experience it for themselves. I KNOW that my rugby coach subs people in accordingly. Last year, I went through the pains of being disappointed when not playing. I probably went through the worst of it out of anyone. I worked my ass off, more than anyone on the team if not everyone on the team combined, for games that I wouldn't even get to dress for. And one of those games was the one game that my family drove 10 hours to see, meaning they drove ten hours to see me not start, not sub in, and not play period. It can't really get any worse than that, and I'll never forget how hard I worked and how much effort I put in. I was shut down many many times, thrown aside and not played for long periods of time. I didn't just get my starting spot out of thin air or because I'm a favorite or anything like that, I worked hard to get to where I am. And I fully believe that if you REALLY, TRULY want something then if you work hard enough for it you'll get it. You just can't take no for an answer. If you don't start in a game, then you think, "Okay fine, I'll work SO hard this next week that I'll definitely start," and you continue saying that until the rewards finally come. Who knows when that time is, but I believe if you really keep at it then you will be rewarded sooner or later. 
...DAYUM. I completely forgot that my family had driven so far to see me stand on the sidelines, and after I had made every practice and done runs and sprints before and after each practice. I remember working and working and working and working and working some more to receive NOTHING. And it was truly devastating. But I also remember thinking that there's always more I could do, and the only way to ensure I'd have a chance at starting the next game was through working hard and attending practices. And it really really did pay off. I'm no superstar or anything now, but I've made a lot of strides from that time and still continue to progress today by never taking any playtime for granted and for always giving 110%.
So I'M HERE FOR YOU UNDERDAWGS. DON'T FUCKING GIVE UP. KEEP GOING TO PRACTICE. STAND PROUDLY ON THAT SIDELINE AND CHEER THE SHIT OUT OF YOUR TEAMMATES. YOUR TIME WILL COME AS LONG AS YOU STICK WITH IT.



I'd like to give a quick shout out to my first rugby coach ever when I started playing in college, who gave me this mentality and reinforced these beliefs in me. If not for her and when she gave me a long awaited chance at playing A-side, then who knows where my faith would be or my perspective on this topic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment