Wednesday, February 19, 2014

I ABsolutely ABhor ABdominal Exercises!!

HOW I FEEL ABOUT ABDOMINAL WORKOUTS:















I JUST CAN'T.
I dunno why, but no matter how much I try and like ab workouts I just DON'T.
planks? NO.
sit ups? NO.
crunches? fuhgettaboutit.
They make me feel yucky in every way, shape, or form. I feel like barfing and I feel like my stomach is a flabby balloon. I just don't think abs are in the cards for me because I eat basically 24 hours a day and am a Taco Bell fiend....aaaaaand I like nice cold bruschis.



BUT at the same time I know how absolutely insanely VITAL it is to have a strong core in rugby. Your core is where you get all of your power from - it is the main center that your strong arms and strong legs work from! When getting tackled, having a strong core is the best defense for getting back on your legs quicker. It also prevents LOTS of injury, especially in your hips and back which are both places that receive a lot of impact from getting tackled. The core is also like a channel that filters more power and energy into your arms and legs; when tackling having a strong core makes you able to filter that energy into your arms and legs to pump through a tackle and have more of an impact. When reading about the importance of the core on various rugby sources, a point came across where many players may be overemphasizing workouts in some areas and not paying enough attention to core exercises. A player may have very strong arms and legs yet can still find themselves being pushed back and unable to break through a tackle because of a weak core. Having a strong core allows your whole body to be connected and put forth equal amounts of power, so there is no weak spot for someone to hit.

SO WHAT A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION. I KNOW HOW IMPORTANT THE DANG CORE IS BUT I CAN'T STAND NOR CAN I EVEN COMPLETE CORE EXERCISES!!!! UGH. I've been trying to stick to the Insanity core workouts because having a big dude yell at me sometimes pushes me through a little more. But that darn gut gets in the way and I'm left always falling short!

Somehow or another, I need to figure it out. As much as I hate core exercises and feel like I go nowhere with them, I have to keep trying. Hopefully reminding myself of the dire importance of the core for rugby will help me pay more attention to it. Reminding myself of anything being important for rugby usually makes me more dedicated :)

No comments:

Post a Comment