Thursday, October 27, 2011

2011 Rugby World Cup



What-a-GAME!!!! I am SO happy that I got the chance to catch the end of the rugby world cup, but I wish I had the chance to see more of it from the beginning stages. I'm really amazed with the amount of picks and gos both teams use consecutively throughout play, and the way that New Zealand won was truly inspirational. Not only did a 30 year old prop score their only try, but a substitute player who had NEVER PLAYED IN THE WORLD CUP BEFORE THAT MOMENT made the kick by a sliver to give them the win by a point. And I have never in all the time that I have witnessed and played rugby ever seen a try scored off of a line out by a prop: they threw a line out to the back pod, which off loaded it out to a prop that was running full speed through the two pods and basically ran the ball like a banger into the try zone! Genius! That seriously just goes to show how amazing of a team New Zealand truly is: not only were they able to utilize their oldest player and one that doesn't normally get opportunities to score a try, but someone fresh off the bench was able to pull through in the clutch moment of that kick. They must have immense depth on their team and appreciate every single person that is on it, no matter how much playing time they get.
But France also put up a fierce opposition at the same time; I was looking back at all the scores throughout the world cup and it is amazing that they only lost to New Zealand by one point! The last time France played New Zealand they lost 37-17, so losing 8-7 is a tremendous improvement to say the least. Not only did they lose by fewer points, but in general they made New Zealand score fewer points which is another accomplishment in itself. The try they did score was well earned and late in the game, so they never stopped putting up a fight. Also, their defense was phenomenal, which is shown in the low scoring game.

I'm so happy that the world cup final was just as amazing and phenomenal as it should have been! I'm sad that I have to wait until 2015 for the next one, but I'm sure I'll be looking back on this game over and over for inspiration and learning purposes. Anyone who didn't see it should make an effort to watch the whole thing, because it was so exciting from beginning to end. And they have some sweet videos of the top 5 hits and the top 5 trys, both of which the United States made it into!

No comments:

Post a Comment