Friday, April 16, 2010

What we do in life echoes in eternity.

I pushed down my mile time to 7:30 today....it's getting there, working progress I guess. But I think that's very important to work on; both endurance and speed because in my eyes they're both equally important. 

I'm starting to realize why before every single rugby game in the fall I watched the movie Gladiator to pump me up for it. First of all, from the get go the first scene in the movie reminds me of rugby. It's a battlefield; there's two clear sides on a field facing each other with space in between (looks just like the start of a rugby match). And I can't help but think of rugby every single time I see this first battle scene because Russell Crowe holds down the front line until one specific moment when they all EXPLODE together, and this just reminds me on a kick off when our team is together and we yell in sync, "Ready....ready....FIRE!" and all do that same explosion together on defense. Russell Crowe also says a lot in that first battle scene about the army working "as one" and sticking together, which is what a rugby team does too. 
Also, I love the idea that size doesn't matter; even the littlest guy can conquer and do something big. Russell Crowe in the movie was little literally (by being a gladiator) and physically; I'd say at least 90% of the guys he fought as a gladiator were bigger than him. I think this also holds true for rugby; size doesn't matter. You don't have to be huge to be good. David can beat Golliath all day in rugby with good old fashioned skill and athleticism. It makes me smile to think that a good rugby player doesn't have a face or a size. 
I've also thought of rugby as being sort of like a battle or a war. Just the strategy and unity of the team that goes into every move of attack is a lot like an army. We all fight together and keep pounding and pounding while being pounded at the same time. 


Siiiiiiiigh, it's a great game. A great great game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment