Sunday, December 7, 2014

What really matters























Unbelievable. This couldn't have come at a better timing than now.
At my rugby banquet last night, my team voted for me to win the Love of the Game award...I could've died and went to heaven right there.

With this big tournament in Trinidad coming up and my dreams and goals for my rugby career growing exponentially, the pressure is high right now. I'm putting in a lot of hard work, and as much as it's worth it...it's also really freakin' hard. I'm pretty nervous to be playing at such a high level next week, and I basically just don't wanna get my ass handed to me on a silver platter.

But just like the spirit of this award....I need to remember what all of this is really about and why I continue to do it. I'm not trying to become the next big rugby star or break every record in the book, nor do I expect either of those things to ever happen. The real thing that keeps me going is the sheer LOVE OF THE GAME.

The people you meet from playing with different teams and against different teams are all so unique and spectacular in their own ways. While there are many uniform ways to hit baseball or shoot a foul shot, rugby playing has so much variety and there's something new to learn from everyone you play with. And this learning experience is always SO MUCH FUN because as a whole rugby players embrace each other as family. While we may even be enemies on the field, in the end we all love the game together and enjoy sharing the competition of it with one another. We even celebrate this after the game with some beverages and chats!













Rugby also is constantly putting your best foot forward. It accepts you for who you are and brings out every strength you possess mentally and physically. Many times, people don't even realize their own potential and strength until they engage in rugby....and I am one of them. There's always room for improvement but also always room for recognizing your own progress and successes. Every time you play in a practice or a game, you leave the field a better player than you were before. And you can forgive yourself for making mistakes, because you have a supportive team surrounding you that will help you through it and also help you improve from it.....and maybe even laugh about it later :) **Turner, remember when I friggin' tried to punt the ball out of a lineout and punted it into your face by accident? THAT WAS A BAD CHOICE.**












So whatever level you're playing at or how far along you are in your rugby career, just continue to enjoy the ride. You're already living the dream by being part of this worldwide family that loves you, and by expending your energy to become your best self and support your teammates.

THANK YOU, NSWR, for reminding me of this. It's always true, but ambition can sometimes blind people. No matter what happens in this tournament next week, I know I'll be with a team that will keep me moving forward and I'll be returning home to a team that supports every step I take. It just can't get any better than this!


No comments:

Post a Comment