Sunday, May 6, 2012

The end of a dynasty.


Yup, I never thought I'd see the day but it finally came: my last time in my school's rugby uniform. Ugh, that was even hurtful to type. As displayed above, I bawled my freakin' eyes out. I can't imagine my life without this team and without this sport. I'm already making plans to play after I graduate, but this team bond cannot be replaced. But luckily, I know deep down that it won't fade away! I know that I'll be a nosy gal and be inquiring about every single game, practice, you name it. AND I better start making plans to be able to come back for next year's alumni weekend because I certainly cannot miss it!
As a team, we played absolutely atrocious. But as one of my alumni reminded me today, these are the girls that brought us to states 2 years in a row....of COURSE they're fantastic. But I'm so grateful for them; not only have they instilled in me such a passion for rugby, but they set such a good example for all the younger players. It's truly amazing how they can go for a long period of time of not even seeing each other, yet still play rugby like they just had an entire season together. And I love it how every single player has their own style of play - they're all so uniquely good at rugby and able to utilize each other's skills in different ways. They're awesome.

Thanks old and new teammates for giving me the greatest 4 years of my life. I've enjoyed every single second of it. Every win, loss, sprint to and from the tree in the park we had to do every time we talked over coach, every run around the park, every game of chicken in the hen house, every loaf of bread we've tossed in a circle, every fupa we've ever worn, every piece of music we've sliced and diced, all the rubber ducky stretches we've done, all the bruises we've earned, all the mud and dirt we've engulfed ourselves in...I've enjoyed all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment